A legend from my city

 

a

When I started my blog I was quite sure I was not going to write only about technology. It was in general about my experiences as I move along in my career and the things I have seen and learned on the way. There are and will be certain events that will be embossed in my mind forever and will be cherished for life time. Somehow, all the days I spent with my friends and family watching India play cricket all these years, finally crystallized into one final day when Sachin started his farewell speech at Wankhede stadium, Mumbai. I remember my mom watching some family serials where she shed tears for the hapless women they showcase. I’ve never seen my dad crying. But while Sachin was talking, I could see both of them wiping their eyes, and I felt moist under my eyes too. I was a bit choked up while writing this post. There are a plethora of photos and videos and talk shows picking up all kinds of analysis on what Sachin said on his last day. The most important thing for me is, Sachin to me was just another enthusiastic cricketing boy in Mumbai playing at Shardashram. My cousin also did that, left his school near his house and admitted himself to the temple of cricket. Sachin must have taken the bus like me in the city at some point. His house is about an hour drive from mine, but he just feels like a neighbour to me. And today India has a stamp with his face on it. For me he is a symbol of dedication, hardwork, supreme passion and honesty. I am being a bit selfish here when I said this legend is from my city as I am proud of that fact. But he belongs to the whole nation.

There are certain people I have in mind about whom I shall teach my kids when the time is right for them. Sachin Tendulkar fits right among them for me. Whether my kids decide to be sportsmen or sportswomen, he is a book to be read by them.

Salute!

Abhang Rane


No comments :

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment...