Google gears on iphone, Ohh yeahhh!!

Google announced the Google Gears api which can be used to manage a site data offline. Once the website is in online state, the whole site data will be refreshed with the data that was added while offline. Such a feature is really compelling to me since it happens a lot of times that I have some idea while travelling and need to blog about while fresh in my mind. Google Gears is made purely in HTML and javascript. That brings me to the talk for iphone. Steve Jobs mentioned about iphone not able to run 3rd party applications on it. But I think it would be really interesting to develop an application using Google Gears for such smart phones without installing any other applications on it. The only caveat is the local storage. Being offline, the data entered in the site has to be stored on the phone somewhere. Cookies, not a good idea since they would be cleared sometimes.

SQLite database(the one I know of) can be accessed perfectly from javascript using Ajax and its also possible to store objects like images and other HTML elements.

I really hope Apple and Google comes up with some storage mechanism on the iphone which would allow developers to really create applications which can be "online while offline".

Abhang Rane


1 comment :

Reader's Comments

  1. Thanks a lot for enjoying this beauty article with me. I am enjoy it very much! Looking forward to another great article.

    iphone developer

    ReplyDelete